28 January 2020

Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine (1989)

NIN: Pretty Hate Machine (1989)

My introduction to NIN was a track that was featured on a UK magazine cover-mounted sampler CD. I can't recall from which magazine it came, I think it may have been a short-lived one, but I'm pretty sure the track was Last from the Broken E.P. (1992).

The same disc had a track by Therapy? from their Nurse (1992) album, and one from Pigface's Fook (1992). Seeing as how all three releases are from the same year, I think it might be safe to assume that it was '92 when I first heard NIN.

The sampler did its job. I wanted more. After buying Broken and its remix album, Fixed (both 1992), I eagerly sought out the début album, Pretty Hate Machine (1989). I acquired it on vinyl and was surprised to find that it was different from what I expected - it was more like Depeche Mode than the Industrial anger of Broken.

Not a fan of New Wave / Electronic music at the time, it took many listens for me to warm to the album, but it was a warmth that grew into an enduring love that has never waned. I knew the timing of every awkward tempo change by heart and could recite verbatim every lyric (even the ones printed on the inner sleeve but not spoken on the album itself). I discovered that I identified with NIN much more than my sense of self would probably have wanted to admit at that time.

Personal feelings aside, the début is all about mood. The overall construction can be torn apart very easily: it's built around minimalist synth and simplistic drum patterns, layered with electronic bass and some occasional Rock guitar. But that's semantics; the album is more than the sum of its parts. What really defines it is the dark angst that gains its strength from a stark honesty.

The 2010 remaster (pictured left) got some modified but respectful cover art, but more than that it breathed new life into the ageing production.

The programmed drums and synth were rescued from the doldrums that they were forced to previously exist in, and the bass got a much-needed boost, sounding better than ever on modern equipment. Overall, the new mix is noticeably louder, has more impact and seems more purposeful.

I never liked how the original mix sounded on CD, but the remaster works on the format, even if the push in DR could've been more respectful.

For anyone discovering Pretty Hate Machine for the first time, I concede that the 2010 re-release is probably the better option, simply because of the clarity and impact, but personally the original vinyl — the one I fell in love with — is still my favourite go-to version, for various reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.